- General Medical Practitioner (caring for almost all the farming families in the Upper Dale).
- Local GP for 26 years in the 2-partner practice which covers 300 sq miles, centred on Middleton in Teesdale. Providing minor injuries service as the nearest District General Hospital is 25 miles away.
- UTASS Trustee since 2000 and Chairperson 2009 – 2017.
- Involved with the original research work with rural stress that led to the setting up of UTASS after the epidemic of suicides in 1991.
- Trustee of the Cameron Relief Trust.
- Previously Chairperson of the Primary Care Group and Trustee of St Teresa’s Hospice, Darlington.