Assistance for Older and Disabled Residents

You can get extra help and support with your electricity supply if you sign up to the Priority Services Register (PSR).

You can sign up for the PSR if you’re:

  • A pensioner
  • Disabled or chronically sick
  • Have a hearing or visual impairment


What help can you receive? If you’re on the PSR, you could get:

  •           Free advice on being more energy-efficient
  •           protection from cold callers
  •           Your meter moved free of charge if it’s hard for you to use or read
  •           Your bills and meter readings in a braille, large print, audio tape, textphone or typetalk
  •           Advance notice if your energy supply is going to be interrupted and priority reconnection
  •           Annual gas safety checks


To be eligible for a free annual gas safety check, you must own your home and get a means tested benefit such as Pension Credit or Income Support. And you live alone or live with other adults who are aged over 60 or have at least one child under five.

To sign up for the Priority Services Register first contact your energy supplier to see if you’re eligible to sign up to the PSR. If you have different suppliers for gas and electricity, you’ll need to call them both.


For more information log onto the Durham County Council web page below: