Supporting Communities in the Durham Dales
In May 2000, and after a great deal of hard work over previous years from many community members, UTASS opened its doors to the public. A company limited by guarantee and a registered charity, UTASS is managed by local people for local people. Our dedicated team of eight project staff, mainly part time plus volunteers provide a wide range of support services to communities in Teesdale and we specialise in agricultural matters.
But what do we do ….
- 24 hours a day, seven days a week support & advice service for those with urgent needs.
- Practical support with the completion and submission of complex forms and paperwork, including awareness raising re: CAP Reform regulations.
- Production and dissemination of regular briefings consisting of essential information distilled and de-jargonised from Defra, EU etc. and pertinent to the running of livestock based farm businesses.
- Support with issues brought about by Foot and Mouth Disease, Blue Tongue Virus etc.
- In cases of severe hardship, acting as third party referrers to organisations which include E Finn Care, Independent Age, Addington Trust and RABI.
- Support and training in setting up of sustainable methods of dealing with on farm paperwork, including the computerisation of farm records.
- Quarterly Community Newsletters.
- Various training courses based on locally identified needs including Farmers of the Future.
- Advocacy and liaison work with local Landlords, Defra, Trading Standards & other agencies.
- Lamb Bank, Sales & Wants and Labour/Skills List development work.
- Facilities for advertising local businesses/services.
- Short term loan of ICT equipment Topical presentations & awareness raising events.
- Requesting & receiving feedback on consultations at local, regional & national levels.
- General drop in and telephone advice on a range of issues and signposting to other helper organisations & agencies.
- Provision of meeting venue & outreach facilities for a range of agencies & organisations including Citizens Advice Bureau, Durham Dales Action for Carers, Age UK, Teesdale Housing and
- Durham County Council’s Environmental & Community Care.
- Provision of facilities for pilates sessions (twice weekly).
- Support with the provision of Local Producers Markets.
- Young People’s Drop In sessions include TV, darts, wii, X Box, table tennis, arts activities, music decks, healthy eating programmes & debate on lifestyle choices
- Young People’s C-Card and Chlamydia screening services
- Wear and Tees Farmwatch and the Teesdale Heritage Group work under the umbrella of UTASS
- Support with the organisation and delivery of local agricultural shows
- Organisation and delivery of social & community events.
- www.utass.org Website available at all times.
- Internet access, photocopying & faxing facilities.